Wednesday, September 10, 2008

No posts recently

As many of my imagined readers have probably figured, I haven't been writing because I've been juggling the onset of the fall semester. Lots of new names, some successful associations with faces, and many new texts have been running through my mind at full speed.

Circumstances this semester dictate that I have to post recordings of my History of the English class on our course management system. Thus, I have entered the murky waters of "pod-casting." Immediately, therefore, I contemplate the absurdity of analogy as a lexical generator. "Broadcast" referred originally to the broad casting of seeds; broad functioned as an adverb on the verb cast. So the word "podcast" should suggest two things to us: the early radio stations cast broads about the countryside as they sent their radio waves singing about, or we're casting about pods ready to envelope their listeners. Either description makes me chuckle in my little lexicographical way.

No comments: